Basic Bath Fizzie Recipe
Makes approx 12 fizzies
You will need:
- 300g Sodium Bicarbonate
- 200g Citric Acid
- 100g Corn Starch
- 30-50 drops of Essential Oil
- 1-2 teaspoons Natural Powder Colouring (Optional, eg Paprika Powder, Cinnamon Powder, Cocoa Powder)
- Dried petals or herbs
- Small spray bottle of spring water or flower water (spray bottles are available here)
- Guest Heart soap mould (see our Guest Moulds section for other designs)
- Place the sodium bicarbonate, citric acid and corn starch in a large bowl and mix very thoroughly with a large plastic or stainless steel spoon.
- Add 1 - 2 teaspoons of natural powder colouring if you wish and mix in until well blended.
- Slowly add 20 drops of essential oil a drop at a time while stirring the mixture.
- Add up to a further 30 drops of essential oil mixing all the time until your desired strength of scent is achieved.
- Adjust a small spray bottle to give a very fine misting of water. Mist the bath fizzie mixture several times and stir well.
- Squeeze a little of the mixture in your hand. If it holds together, the mixture is ready. If not, mist and stir again. Repeat until the mixture binds. Gently does it. Don't be tempted to add too much water or your bath fizzie will go off before you want it to!
- Now take the mould and sprinkle in a few dried petals or herbs for decoration.
- Place some of the mixture into the mould and pack it in tightly. Repeat until the mould is full.
- If you find that the mixture breaks apart easily, it's too dry and you'll need to return it to the mixing bowl and add a little more water. If the mixture starts to fizz you've added too much and you've started the chemical reaction off early! Unfortunately there's no remedy for this and you'll need to start again. This may seem fiddly to start with, but with a little practice you'll soon be able to tell when the mixture is just right.
- Leave the fizzies overnight to dry then remove them from the moulds and leave for a further 24-48 hours to harden off.
- Store in airtight containers until needed.
- Drop one or two fizzies into warm bath water, watch them fizz away and enjoy the lovely aroma!